History of Mining in Haiti
The Spanish exploited gold in Haiti in the 15th and 16th centuries. Copper and gold occurrences have been revealed over time, however, it was not until the 20th century that the mining industry began to prosper.
1957 to 1982 — Reynolds Haitian Mines Metals Inc. exploited bauxite in Miragoane at an annual rate of 600,000 tons.
1960 to 1971 — SEDREN S.A. (Canada) exploited copper in Mémé. 1.5 million tons at 2% copper were extracted in a copper skarn.
1970’s — The United Nations performed a study which specified the occurrences of copper and gold.
1980’s — A practicability study was completed on the Douvray property. Deposits measured were determined to be sub-economic given the price of copper.
1995 — St. Genevieve Haiti signs the first Convention Miniere with the Haitian government for mining rights until 2025, which is the only convention ever signed in Haiti.
1990 to 2000 — Mining was put on hold due to political issues.
2005 — Convention Miniere was published in an official legal journal.
2007 — A company by the name of SIMACT, a group of Haitian investors, invested heavily in the project along with the existing companies.
2008 — A company named Alliance Copper Gold, a group of mining professionals, invested in that same project.
2008 — St. Genevieve another company from Canada.
2009 — Eurasian Minerals and Newmont Mining were granted 27 permits in north-east Haiti in addition to the 5 licenses they already owned and existing Newmont permits. They acquired the Grand Bois Land, host to a non-compliant NI43-101 gold resource with development potential and possible copper-gold porphyry system at depth.